chicken (boneless skinless chicken breasts)
salt and pepper
oil (I used olive oil)
carrots (peeled and sliced)
thyme (leaves off the stem)
gluten-free flour (this can be found at local grocery stores or online)
almond milk (any type of plant-based milk will work)
- Coat the chicken: First, rub the chicken with the creole seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cook the chicken: Next, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add seasoned chicken and sear for three to four minutes per side. The chicken should not be cooked through at this point.
- Sauté the vegetables: After that, add the remaining oil. Sauté the onion, carrots, celery until soft, about five to seven minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, and thyme.
- Cook and stir occasionally until mushrooms are tender.
- Whisk the almond milk: Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the almond milk and gluten-free flour.
- Combine: Once the mushrooms are done, pour over the milk mixture and stir to combine. Allow the sauce to simmer for two to three minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Continue to cook: Next, return the chicken to the pan together with the asparagus and continue to cook it into the sauce until fully cooked through and no longer pink on the inside.